With Halloween only weeks away, the bombardment of sweets is just around the corner. We’ve got some tricks (and treats!) up our sleeves, but there’s nothing spooky about a healthy holiday snack every now and then.
This black bean dip has a kick to it that’s delicious but not overwhelming. Lime juice brightens the flavors, and a splash of hot sauce keeps things spicy.
Use cookie cutters to give your homemade tortilla chips a festive look, and that bowl of candy corn will have some real competition.
SPOOKY BLACK BEAN DIP
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans
- 1-3 tablespoons your favorite hot sauce
- 1 tsp cumin (optional)
- Shredded red cabbage for colorful garnish
- 6-inch corn tortillas, cut up into shapes, brushed with olive oil and baked in single layer at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.
- juice from 1 large lemon (or 1.5 medium lemons – about 1/4 cup)
- Cut tortillas into shapes with a cookie cutter, brush with olive oil, and bake on a greased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for about twelve minutes.
- Puree beans and lemon juice in blender.
- Add hot sauce sauce slowly and test, until you’re happy with how spicy it is.
- Sprinkle with cumin and serve with tortilla chips.